IIBA® Australia Chapter Official Conference -
Business Analysis Professional Days (BA Professional Day)
The IIBA® Australia Chapter is excited to announce that its official conference – Business Analysis Professional Day, will be hosted in September 2015.
What is Business Analysis Professional Day?
Business Analysis Professional Day is the official conference of the IIBA® Australia Chapter.
The chapter's aspirations for this major event are:
- Provide members with access to a high quality business analysis event that is tailored for the local interest
- Raise awareness of business analysis and the IIBA® within the Australian business community
- Elevate business analysis skills and knowledge within the business analysis community
- Develop a local professional community
For more details, see the BA Professional Day conference website: www.baprofessionalday.com
2014 IIBA® Chapter - Board Portfolio Assignments
The recent 2014 Board Elections has been successfully completed. We would like to thank the retiring Board members and also the Board Election Committee for assisting with the smooth transition.
The new board met on 17-Nov-14 for the first time to elect the roles and portfolios. Introducing:
- Sally-Anne Mitchell (President/Chair)
- Damian Wilson (Vice President/Vice Chair)
- Alliysn Wilkinson (Treasurer)
- Lani Guy (Secretary)
- Geoff Griffin (Corporate Services)
- Cora Stapleton (Certification & Education)
- Shannon Murfitt (Events)
- Holly Lei Hou (Marketing)
- Adrian Leadbeater (Special Events)
So what’s next?
The board is presently finalising handovers from the retiring board members. Recently IIBA® Global updated their strategic plan (http://www.iiba.org/About-IIBA/About-IIBA/strategic-plan-2014.aspx) so early in the New Year the board will hold a strategic planning day to set the course for the chapter’s direction (that is aligned to global direction) and what we are accountable to the Australian Chapter Membership for. It means that we take the goals and work on ways to implement that gives benefit to the Australian business analysis community.
In the coming weeks we will also be advertising for expressions of interest on some vacant portfolio and support roles. This means you can consider over the Christmas/New Year break and apply first thing in the New Year. The board hopes to have the roles filled by the end of January 2015. Please email
for enquiries. The vacant roles are:
- Member Services Director
- Australia Chapter Membership Support
- Website Support
Finally as the festive season is upon us, on behalf of the Australia Chapter Board we wish you and your family a relaxing and enjoyable time. Keep safe and recharge as we are looking forward to engaging and assisting you and the business analysis profession in taking it to new heights in 2015.
IIBA® Australia Chapter
2014 IIBA® Chapter Awards
Australia Chapter has WON IIBA® Chapter of the Year!
It is with great pleasure we advise you that IIBA® Australia Chapter is the 2014 IIBA® Chapter of the Year.
IIBA® global conducts the IIBA® Chapter Awards Program annually. The global awards committee assessed the 33 submissions from 10 chapters across the world (Australia, UK, Vancouver, Cedar Rapids, Calgary, Minneapolis St. Paul, Central Iowa, Greater Atlanta, NW Arkansas, South Africa) to determine the shortlist. This year your local IIBA® Australia Chapter was shortlisted in 4 of 8 categories with the chapter being nominated for the Leadership Excellence award by the IIBA® Awards Committee, rather than a chapter submission. The shortlisted categories are:
- Most Sustainable Chapter – the chapter that best shows how they have grown in a sustainable manner aligning with the IIBA® goals of: (1) Enable sustainable growth to support the establishment of IIBA® as a worldwide organisation, (2) Ensure financial viability to support the implementation and sustainment of IIBA® operational and strategic priorities.
- Governing Chapter – the chapter that excelled in the area of Governance, internal to their chapter and with the IIBA®.
- Leadership Excellence – the chapter that excels in strategic leadership. Chapters that are creating strategy, operational plans to support executing strategic plans, increasing chapter maturity in operations and programs, and leading chapter programs with defined vision and purpose will be recognised with this award.
- Chapter of the Year – the chapter that has consistently shown over the 12 month period the best alignment to the IIBA® mission, vision and values, as well as demonstrating that their execution on their chapter goals and objectives are traceable to the goals and objectives of IIBA®.
The award winners were announced at 2014 BBC (Building Business Capability) conference, being held in Florida, at the IIBA® members evening event on Wednesday November 5th. Attending the conference and this event was representation of the IIBA® Australia Chapter Board’s Geoff Griffin (current Corporate Services Director) and Damian Wilson (recently elected to the board and currently chair for IIBA® Australia Chapter Melbourne branch). They proudly accepted the award on behalf of the Board and the Australia Chapter Members.
Some of the things that we have done that would have factored in the awards committee’s decision:
- Taking time to set the strategic direction and prioritising implementation so as not to over commit volunteer’s time;
- Having clear roles and responsibilities of the board members;
- Developing portfolio processes to assist with transition of responsibilities with changes in board and branch personnel;
- Balancing the national direction offered by the board with local on the ground presence of the branches;
- Demonstrating compliance to the IIBA ® global chapter policy with conducting AGMs and having auditing of the chapter finances;
- Introducing an Australia Chapter Membership with a phenomenal take-up;
- Introducing a national BA of the Year Award;
- Making Business Analysis Professional Day’s accessible across the country;
- Management of a consistent syllabus for BABOK ® Study Groups and authorisation of participants at a national level with branch facilitating the sessions;
- Establishing a solid reputation of offering value for sponsorship opportunities.
Being shortlisted for half of the awards is acknowledgement for the hard work and commitment of the Chapter Board, Branches, all IIBA® Australia Chapter Members and you in promoting the business analysis profession.
With the Chapter Board currently in a period of transition/handover to the newly elected members, winning IIBA® Chapter of the Year award certainly provides a great drive and platform to strive for continued growth of the IIBA® Australia Chapter in the coming years.
Re-elected Board Member